Tuesday 7 August 2012

Yell Rebrand as Hibu

So it seems Yell are rebranding themselves, getting rid of the name and image, and becoming Hibu
Yell needed to do something to refresh themselves after reporting an annual loss of £1.4 million, so they called on Landor Associates to help them out. I'm not really a fan of the made up, nonsense style names, so right now I'm not so impressed, but it may be one of those names that grows on me the more I hear it. The Yellow Pages was always seen by the phone as I was growing up, and some of the adverts (the boy getting the yellow pages to stand on so he would be tall enough to give a girl a kiss) stay in my memory. With the internet and all the information and adverts readily available, and for free, they have to really set themselves as the go-to place for when you need a plumber, a tree surgeon or even a dog walker.


Above is the new logo. Yell said in a statement,  ‘Communities are built on the connections people make and people are connected at the heart of the hibu logo. The identity utilises typography with soft shouldered edges like the human body and coloured dots represent the people behind the identity, diversity, connections and conversation. By using bold lower-case typography with soft edges we project a human and approachable company.’
I quite like the logo, although it does remind me of Gu, the luxury pudding people. I think it's the dots above the 'u' and because both logos are quite rounded.


I think ditching the recognised name and logo could be dangerous, but if done well, they could go back to their directory heyday. Only time will tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment